Saturday 16 June 2012

Inspire 52 - Week 24. The Ink Mountains and Reflections

2 weeks to go until I'm half way though Inspire 52!! OMG can I believe it? Indeed I cannot! How to make half a year go by really quickly ... embark on a crazy art project which makes you count down the weeks ... oh, there is method in the madness somewhere ... I promise!
So what's going on this week?

Well I be damned ... it's still black and white guys!

Last week I gave a little insight into The Paper Forest and this week I am going to reveal more about The Ink Mountains ... of course I am not going to give away all the secrets of these places, as it is up to you to discover and make of it what you will.

After the exhaustion of last week where I couldn't even decide if I was going to have green or jasmin tea - I have come out of the ink pot ready to splatter lines, dots and marks on lovely white paper once again, all in the name of art - Love it ...

I went back into the exhibition on Wednesday this week and started to immerse myself in the exploration of The Ink Mountains. It's an unusual feeling when you put only the beginning of a work of art on show at the private view, knowing it's only the beginning of a piece and in time it will evolve with time spent working live on it in the exhibition ... a little risky you may think ... but risk is all part of the adventure... And so I began ...


The Ink Mountains were born ... before the ink ... in their purest form...


glass - water
fragility - flow


paper - ink
landscape - voyage


shadows - reflections
self - truth





The Ink Mountains

 
Just one drop falling
falling
falling
Frozen in time on the top of the mountain

One drop
One drop of time to take the path
One drop of a moment to make it last
Cast in glass
A fragile course
To find the way deep into the source.


Search for the answer and follow the clue
Just one drop falling will follow you.
Search for the answer it wont look for you
Follow the inked path in black inky blue.

 
Just one drop
Falling
Calling the clues
Into the Ink Mountains,
The figures defuse

Just one drop
recalling the words
Of eagling birds
falling and soaring
above in the sky
Over the Ink Mountains
Frozen in time

Into the depths and far beyond
A place you never told me I could go on,
This path wove a treadmill beneath my feet,
And the words of the forest began to speak.
'Dance with us, we'll show you the way'.
Over the mountains and far away...
                                                                             Hazel Evans 2012


The Ink Mountains - track no.7
from the CD soundtrack Adventures Into The Monochronium

What does it really mean to me?

First of all I love The Ink Mountains, they are so photogenic, magical, serene and dreamy. The are so naturally black and white it's amazing. No photoshop needed! I love the way this piece has evolved organically through the time of devising my exhibition.
Originally I wanted to do a performance piece with jars of water and ink and didn't really know more than that; creating performative illustration as the ink suspends in the water in slowly moving illustrations as it falls to the bottom of the glass. I then came accross these jars and a glass pig from about 5 different stands on one day a t a car boot sale. When I got home I placed them all in a line on the mantlepiece and thus the mountains were born. The glass pig is a new character in the scenario whose voyage I am illustrating and writing, and this will be defined as the piece still continues to grow. By the end of the exhibition, I am hoping to have the story complete.
The Ink Mountains for me are another representation of my journey. A journey of discovery through fragility and strength, coming out of the valleys to conquer the peaks and learning to face the weather. I used to live in the Alps in France - I think somewhere in this piece is an acknowledgement of my journey to find a way out of being lost in the mountains as well as an understanding of where I have come from and who I am today. Following my truth, dancing into my shadow and following the path that feels right.
The more I work into this piece the more the story reveals itself to me ... The story is not over yet ...

 
Adventures Into The Monochronium
26th May - 28th July 2012
The Gallery Lighthouse Poole
 
Exhibition soundtrack available
Poems and songs performed by Hazel Evans with music by Momo:tempo
www.hazelevans.co.uk - online shop coming soon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, it would be great to hear your thoughts. Thank you.