Sunday 25 March 2012

Inspire 52 - Week 12. Adventures Into The Passport

Week 12 of year 2012, and it's the year for a new passport for me... Yes indeed it has been a whole 10 years since my last one, and I am now preparing to get a new one, but before I do lets make some art about it!

The whole notion of getting a new passport has inspired me this week and it seems to be perfect timing numbers-wise, the perfect dozen! And what better time to think about the adventures ahead as we break out of the grip of winter into glorious summertime.... I AM ALIVE!!!

It has got me thinking about the journey of the last 10 years. Where has this passport taken me? Who is that girl in that picture in 2002 and what has happened to her? And what is the next part of the journey?

I remember which Post Office photo booth I went into to get this picture taken. It was the summer in 2002 and I had come back to England  from my first year living in Grenoble and teaching English. I was in love and living with my French boyfriend at the time. I was also working in a surf jewellery company and in the picture I am wearing one of the shell necklaces.


The journey of the last ten years has taken me far from one camera flashing moment in that photo booth. Looking though my passport I have stamps for France, Morocco, Slovakia, Egypt, Tanzania, HongKong, The Philippines, Borocay Island, and Namibia. These journeys have taken me not only physically to other destinations but have formed part of who I am today. Some of the journeys were in love, others in adventure or escapism.

Passport Memories

Road trip from Grenoble to the Tatras Mountains in Slovakia. Three days journey through Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic and Slovakia over Christmas. It was a beautiful trip to visit my best friend at her family home for Christmas. Christmas day was in Saltzberg, Weiss bier and sauerkraut in the central square. A nice moment. Driving home in the driving snow. Life would get more complicated after this.

I remember walking down the street in Metro Manila alone, the colour of my skin and my height clearly distinguishing me as a stranger. My mobile phone rang. I knew the number. I didn't answer as I didn't fancy being subject to exactly what I was escaping from... if only he knew where I was, I am sure it would have made him even angrier! It was probably one of the most surreal moments of my life so far.

Hong Kong. A flighting visit. I was on my way back from the Phillippines and I had a six hour stop over. Any normal single white female would have stayed safely in the airport and read a book, but I fancied a challenge with my new found sense of freedom. I sat in the airport for 10 minutes and weighed up the pros and cons and then decided to go for it. I checked out, got on the navette train, then got a taxi, walked a bit and then got a boat over to central Hong Kong. It was about 6pm and all the town was illuminated. Nobody knew where I was in the world. It was great. I walked around for a bit took some photos and then got the boat, taxi and train back to get my flight home. This moment changed me.

So what now?
I long to travel again. I love travelling on my own, or meeting up with someone somewhere then going onto somewhere different. I love journeys. My next big soulful journey I want to be India. But the USA has been calling me to go back there too ... I don't know... one thing is sure, I've got a lot to get done here before I can go anywhere else.

What about this week?

So as you can see from the image at the beginning of the blog I have created a new passport. My next exhibition is going to be 'Adventures into The Monochronium' and I figured I needed a passport for this as the journey is quite an official one! I have made sure I have gained all relevant and official stamps and visas necessary and am now preparing to embark on the next creative journey.




You are of course welcome too. You can come to 'Adventures into The Monochronium' without a passport if you are just visiting for the day, from 26th May onwards. I will however be there until 7th July hence official document requirements! Now I know this seems like quite a way away, but like all great voyages it's all in the preparation to make a safe and enjoyable trip!
Who is the woman in the new passport?

Well that is a good question. I think she is someone who knows more about what she wants from her next journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, it would be great to hear your thoughts. Thank you.